Monday, March 9, 2009

" Best of Luck..."

I have always had a very unique or may be i should say a rather quite and an unusual relationship with my son. He is now 8 years old. He has been ever so close to his mom and why not so, though i have been there, but still a spark away. The last couple of months have been different though, ever since we got know each other better, the relationship with my son has evolved.
As adults, when we grow bigger in our space, we think rationality and intelligence come to us naturally. Atleast i thought so !
Have we ever turned our heads back and checked the impact we create on account of our actions on our kids, however insignificant they may seem to us? I have now realized that it all comes back to you in a form so unique that can make you awe the relationship better.
I always thought that i ruled the roost when it came to handling emotions. Kids too have emotions, and they express it in their own wondrous ways.
A traditional Indian system of bidding adieu follows by offering some sweet curds and may be a token currency in cash, which is for keep sakes and presumably for good luck.
Recently, i was moving for an assignment, and as i was getting up to move, my son came to me, running.
He seemed quite sad, and i guess he was trying his best to control his emotions and not exhibit them to say the least, and then... he came over and handed me out a Rs.100/- denomination currency note and said "Best of luck Papa"...
I was awestruck, and found it difficult not to cry. He looked at me in the eye and as if he kept telling me that he 'meant exactly what he said'. I could see him standing cold, waiting for me to hold him in his arms and hug him so tight that we could both let our emotions out. We did exactly that.
I held him close to my chest and felt the pain in him, of not seeing me for long...
What a guy ? He must have saved this money from the paltry sums that his mom gives him as 'pocket money', but the gesture was amazing.
Probably, i have never been ever so close to my son in the last 8 years.
At the airport, he bid me a silent farewell and a few 100 meters away in the car he waved at me. I could not hear him though but we connected, well.
We still have to learn a lot from our kids, at least i do.

No comments:

Post a Comment